What is Windows Virtual Desktop?
Windows Virtual Desktop is a comprehensive desktop and app virtualization service running on the cloud. It is the only service that delivers simplified management, multi-session Windows 10, optimization for Office 365 ProPlus, and support for Remote Desktop Services Environments. With Windows Virtual Desktop you can deploy and scale your Windows desktops and apps on Azure in minutes, with built-in security and compliance.
What are the key benefits of Windows Virtual Desktop?
• Multi-session Windows 10 that delivers the cost advantages of server-based virtualization
• The best service to virtualize Office 365 ProPlus running in multi-user virtual scenarios
• The only service to provide Windows 7 virtual desktop with free Extended Security Updates, giving you more options to support legacy applications while you transition to Windows 10
• Bring your existing Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and Windows Server desktops and apps
• Manage Windows 10, Windows Server, and Windows 7 desktops and apps all with a unified management experience on Azure
• Seamlessly virtualize both desktops and apps
What is the new Windows 10 multi-session?
Windows Virtual Desktop enables a capability of Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session available only in Azure. This allows full fidelity access to a Windows 10 experience – including the user experience, Office ProPlus support, Microsoft Edge, Cortona, per user search index and access to the Microsoft store – while taking advantage of the cost efficiency of shared compute resources previously only available with server-based virtualization.
What operating systems are supported by WVD?
Windows 10 multi-session, Windows 10 single-session, Windows 7 single-session, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, and Windows Server 2019
How does the WVD solution reduce costs?
WVD reduces customer costs by reducing Infrastructure, Licensing, and Labor costs. Multi-session Windows 10 allows significant savings in compute resources, and WVD service now replaces complex management requirements of RDS/VDI solutions. WVD is free to use with many existing licenses and you no longer have to pay for RDS CAL licenses. Finally, labor savings are realized by the shift from IaaS to PaaS removing the need to manage core services like broker/gateway/web access etc. reducing management overhead.
Will WVD support Microsoft Office?
Yes. The best experience of Office is with Office 365 ProPlus, which is supported by Windows 10 multi-session. Perpetual versions of Office will not be supported by Windows 10 multi-session but will be supported on Windows Server operating systems with Windows Virtual Desktop.
What is required to run WVD?
You need an Azure Tenant and a Subscription with enough resource creation permissions.
Can we try WVD out now as a POC?
Yes! WVD is in General Availability since September 2019.